Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Bees

They had to cut a hole in the Celine to get the honeycomb out.

It was amazing to see how perfect the honeycomb was. Every hole was exactly the same shape and size.

Here is one of the larger ones that had quite a bit of honey in it.

Here are some of the bees. I couldn't believe how many there were considering how many were still in there that they couldn't get and how many we already swept up that were outside.

A couple weeks ago a swarm of bees decided to move into our house. It was a little scary when it all happened. Max was playing outside and noticed that a bee came into the house. He came to get me and was asking that I come downstairs to check it out. I kept telling him to wait and I would be down. Finally I got sick of him asking so I went downstairs. When I got down there I noticed that there was a bee in the house so I shut the screen on the door. Within 30 seconds of me shutting that door there was a huge swarm of bees at the door trying to get in. They were very aggressive and would try to get into what ever window we stood in front of. You could hear their body's hitting the house trying to get in. We called a bee company and they came out and had them sprayed a day later. Well, they didn't go away completely. They just moved to a new location on the house. They came out a week later for re treatment and they had made honeycomb. We had about 4,000 bees and this is what they can do in about 7 days. I am so thankful to Heavenly Father for the warning to shut the door. I am grateful for a sweet little boy who listens to the spirit when his Mom is too busy cleaning to listen. After we shut the door and the bees were there the kids and I were sitting there watching them and Chloe says "because max heard the spirit he saved us! Our house would have been full of bees and we would have got stung lots!" Thanks Max for saving us! :)

11 comments:

Tara Kay said...

So super scary! I'm so glad no one got stung!

Lauren said...

That's crazy! Glad you guys are ok, I miss your sweet kids. Oh, and I mis you too :)

Kjohnson said...

That is a really scary/cute story...Your kids are so stinking cute!

Brooke Whimpey said...

Wow, looks like fun!!! ;) I am sure the kids loved watching the guys get all that out of there. I am glad to see that it all finally got taken care of, and hopefully it doesn't continue to come back!!!

MarjAnn said...

Oh man- what an experience! Glad it turned out as well as it did!

The Lord Family said...

YIKES! Scary!!! Glad you guys are ok!

Adam and Jess said...

That's crazy. Interesting how quickly they wanted to get in too! My parents had a swarm of bees in their wall and weren't sure until they had honey coming thru the intercom system.
It's cool that you guys try to do something fun and new each weekend. I wish we had better weather and scenery for that. I LOVE the West coast. You look like you've lost weight. It's either all of that running or being so active in Cali. Looks like you're enjoying yourselves. I couldn't help but think that you fit right in with your surf board and ability to wakeboard.

Anonymous said...

That same thing happened to a lady I work with! I guess that right now for a period of like a month all the honey bee's are looking for new nesting places! Its so crazy that it happened to you guys. Thank goodness for Maxman, the studmuffin saved the day!!!

doodlebug said...

What a great testimony building experience for the kids. Glad you're all safe and happy!

Jess said...

Wow!!! Glad you are all safe! That is so crazy!

Priceless Heritage said...

Wow- that story totally made me cry. Such a sweet little boy you have. What a hero! We had bees in our front yard tree once and they trapped us in for days. The hive was taller than Kendel. That would have been scary if they got in your house.